Let’s face it, the holidays are full of travel, eating out of the ordinary, alcohol and all the fun things! But, what does that mean for our skin? For me, it generally means dried out skin from dehydration and flying. It means breakouts from eating foods I don’t typically eat, and it means I need to show my skin extra love and care post holiday season. So today, I want to share 7 things you can do to revamp your skincare routine after the holidays!
About a month ago, I made my first appointment at Toska European Spa for a facial. After several consecutive months of random breakouts, I was fed up with whatever the heck was going on with my skin and decided it was time to splurge on the best facialist in town, and boy was that the right thing to do! First off, if you aren’t familiar with Toska Husted – do yourself a favor and become familiar with her. She is the fairy god mother of skin! I would say she’s probably most well known for having Jennifer Anniston as one of her clients, but aside from her laundry list long of accolades, she’s just extremely knowledgeable and wants the best for each of her clients. My first facial with her was the brightening and lifting bespoke facial, Jennifer’s personal favorite according to Toska! My second facial with her is Kim K’s personal favorite, the Supreme Oxylight facial. So now you’re probably thinking – that’s great Vanessa, but what are they exactly?
Facial #1 // Brightening and Lifting Bespoke Facial
This facial combines four types of electric currents to tone and sculpt facial muscles, which improves muscle memory and revitalizes the epidermis. I really liked this facial! My skin felt so tight, clean, plump, super hydrated and lifted afterwards, and it had a glow I’ve never seen before! The currents were not uncomfortable at all, I felt no pain (this is a question a few of my friends had for me), and overall it simply feels like something is vibrating on your muscles.
Facial #2 // Supreme Oxylight
So, with all of that being said: here are seven things you can do today to work towards healthier looking skin! PS: some of these are tips from Toska herself!
1. Implement your skincare regimen twice a day // Yes! Not once, but twice a day! I was only cleansing and taking care of my skin once a day prior to my facials with Toska. She recommended I move towards a twice a day regimen – morning, and night and I believe this has made a significant difference in my skin!
2. Add each product to your skin in a gentle upward motion // During my facial, I learned I was applying my skincare regimen incorrectly. You want to pat the product gently into your skin rather than rubbing it in, and you want to apply it in an upward motion to prevent from pulling downwards on your skin (which creates wrinkles – no thanks).
3. Apply all products to your face, neck, and decollete // It’s pretty common to apply your skincare regimen to your face and neck, but what I had not heard (and maybe you have), was to also apply it to your decollete. The skin on your decollete is very thin and will show signs of aging earlier on – to prevent that, you should be applying your regimen to that area as well!
4. Get a facial once a month // Before meeting Toska, I wasn’t really sure how often someone my age (28) should be getting facials, and I knew I wasn’t doing enough in terms of skincare. Anyway, she recommended coming in once a month. Obviously getting facials can be a splurge, but this is one of those “invest in yourself” things that are extremely important long term. Skip the night out, new clothes, or happy hour with your girlfriends a few times and repurpose that money for something that gets you long term value (Toska’s facials start at $120 – not a bad deal for what you get). When I’m 60, I know I’ll be thanking my 28 year old self for that sacrifice.
5. Invest in skincare products that make a difference // If your current skincare regimen isn’t causing you to see a difference, chances are it’s not doing a whole lot. Seek an expert and follow their advice for a month, if you notice a difference than it’s worth continuing! Biologique Recherche isn’t the most expensive brand on the market, but it definitely isn’t cheap either. However, it has made a major impact on my skin in just one months time! I would spend my money on this brand ten times over to not have to see those fine lines and wrinkles, and without splurging on Botox which is even more expensive (I’ve never had Botox, and my goal is to take care of my skin in a way that I don’t ever feel like I have to get it).
6. Apply your skincare from thinnest product to thickest product // I didn’t know this until about six months ago, so maybe I’m naive, but I was applying it all wrong! Knowing how to apply your products makes a big difference in how they work. Start with your cleanser, then move to your toner, serums, creams, and moisturizers last.
7. Don’t workout with makeup on, and take care of your skin post workout // Both newly learned lessons for me! I used to workout right after work, so I always had a full face of makeup on. According to beauty experts, this is only clogging your pores and allowing the makeup to seep in (makes sense). Furthermore, once you’ve sweat you should be applying your skincare routine immediately after. Sweat, dirt, and bacteria from being in the gym lead to breakouts. Grab a few travel sized skincare products if you don’t have time to run home immediately afterwards and apply your cleanser, toner, and any serums you may use.
Alright friends, that’s a wrap on skincare for today! Another long post, but I hope you find it helpful! Don’t forget to check out my Instagram Stories to see the behind the scenes of my most recent facial. If you’re in the Charlotte area, take me up on my recommendation and reach out to Toska. I promise, you will not be sorry. In the meantime, you can read up on her skincare tips and tricks on her blog here. Let me know if you have any questions!